Berlin British School offers a maximum of five scholarships each academic year, each to the value – determined by the school – of between 10% and 50% of the tuition fee a year, to students applying to, or already enrolled at, the school in Year 5 (German and international Grade 4) or above.
Application and selection criteria for the award of scholarships:
- An outstanding academic record, as documented by previous and/or current school/s attended
- A very strong recommendation from the school in which the applicant is currently enrolled
- Distinction in an entrance test, for applicants up to and including Year 9 entry
- An excellent impression – in the form of deep interest in learning, a natural curiosity and an ability to argue in an informed manner – made in an interview conducted by one or more members of BBS staff
- An excellent record of school behaviour
- A contribution to the extracurricular life of current or previous schools attended, and/or to the wider community
- A role model for other students
These qualities will be identified and assessed by BBS school staff who will select and then interview prospective scholars. Size of parents’ income and financial means will play no part in determining the award of scholarships. The award of a scholarship, and the percentage of tuition fees discounted for such an award, will be entirely at the school’s discretion.
A parent who would like to enter their child for a scholarship should complete an application form, attached, and submit it to the Admissions Secretary. Since a maximum of only five scholarships will be awarded each academic year for admission in the same or following academic year, the earlier an application is submitted the more likely a scholarship place will still be available.
Each scholarship will be subject to an interim review at the end of the first year and be awarded for a two year period, towards the end of which a consideration of the same qualities for which the scholarship was initially awarded will again be made, to determine whether the scholarship will be re-awarded for a further two year period.
Scholarship applications may be submitted from 1 January, for entry in September. The deadline for applications is 1 March.