Planning began in the early 1990s for our school which would root British traditions in Germany’s capital city after the departure of the Allies. Using the building of the former Charlottenburg First School, a British military school in Charlottenburg, we opened in September 1994 with 84 children from 23 nationalities as the first-ever British School in Berlin.
Although initially only offering pre-school, nursery and primary education, we soon had to extend its educational scope by going into secondary education with the IGCSE, and shortly after introducing the International Baccalaureate Diploma. This growing pupil population meant that we expanded further into the Grunewald. In 1999, we were pleased to base our nursery and reception at Havelchaussee, a woodland site with purpose-built accommodation ideally suited for small children.
In September 2000, the vast campus at Am Postfenn welcomed our Secondary School students. In January 2010, with the help of funding from the Berlin Lotto foundation, we were able to build a new building to host a spacious library, further science labs and classrooms.
In 2014, BBS celebrated its 20th anniversary, and since the start of the academic year 2015/16, we are authorised to operate as an Ersatzschule in the Land Berlin.
Milestones at a glance
- 1994 – Foundation and start of school operation in September at our site in Dickensweg. Number of students: 84, 23 nationalities (Pre- and primary school).
- 1999 – Opening of the Havelchaussee site for our Early Years department.
- 2000 – Opening of our campus at Postfenn for our secondary school in September: Extension of school operation to secondary level, introduction of IGCSE.
- 2002 – Introduction of the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB).
- 2004 – First IB graduates.
- 2010 – Expansion of Secondary School with an additional new building.
- 2013 – Early Years department becomes a bilingual Kita recognized by the state effective with the academic year 2013/14.
- 2014 – 20th anniversary and transition of BBS into the legal form of a gGmbH, with BBS e.V. being its shareholder. Opening of our new sports hall in October.
- 2015 – Primary school becomes an authorised Ersatzschule.2016 – Secondary school becomes an authorised Ersatzschule (Integrierte Sekundarschule).
- 2016 – Secondary school becomes an authorised Ersatzschule (Integrierte Sekundarschule).
- 2018 – Begining 1. Sepember the Kita becomes wholly privately financed.